March 16, 2017
- H.E. Mohamed Hussain Shareef, Ambassador-Designate met with Mr. Akira Unno, the designer of the Official Logo for the 50th Anniversary of Maldives-Japan Diplomatic Relations. The meeting was held at the Embassy of Maldives in Japan this morning.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Maldives and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan jointly selected and announced the Official Logo for the 50th Anniversary of Maldives-Japan Diplomatic Relations, on 28 February 2017. A public competition to design the Official Logo was conducted from December 27, 2016 to January 27, 2017, and received 24 entries. The Official Logo will be used for events related to the 50th Anniversary of Maldives-Japan Diplomatic Relations, throughout 2017.
- The designer of the Official Logo is Mr. Akira Unno, who is a Japanese citizen, residing in Tokyo. Unno expressed the 50th Anniversary by featuring a beautiful combination of Maldivian and Japanese flags and the number ‘50’.
- The Republic of Maldives and Japan established Diplomatic Relations on November 14, 1967. The Embassy of Maldives in Tokyo was officially opened on 10 May 2007.The first resident Ambassador of the Maldives to Japan, His Excellency Abdul Hameed Zakariya, presented his Letter of Credence to His Majesty Emperor Akihito on 11 March 2008.
- The Maldives and Japan have enjoyed friendly and cordial relations since then.